Friday, March 14, 2014

Happy Friday Feast For My Fish Friday Friends! (Try Saying That Really Fast)

I LOVE fish tacos. I love them fried. I love them grilled. I love shrimp tacos.

Oh, wait, that would be a different recipe.

I have previously posted a recipe for Spicy Jalapeno Horseradish Coleslaw in 2011--http://donnalenz.blogspot.com/2011/12/spicy-jalapeno-horseradish-coleslaw.html

It just happens that I love that stuff on fish tacos. This time I did it a little different, to mixed reviews at my house.

Chuck liked the creamy sauce mixed into the cabbage. I liked it separate.

When eating at restaurants, I have had the fish tacos in many different forms. The one below reflects my personal taste. If you want to mix the creamy sauce in with the vinegary slaw (as in the original recipe), call Chuck over for dinner.

FISH TACOS WITH SPICY COLESLAW AND CREAMY HORSERADISH SAUCE

6 mild fish fillets, cooked  (if breaded—baked. If raw, either grilled or pan seared.)
6 corn tortillas, browned in skillet
Spicy Horseradish Coleslaw

I did the first step in the coleslaw recipe, which was mix ¼  cup vinegar, ¼ cup sugar, dash of salt and pepper and pour over 1 bag of chopped coleslaw mix, ¼ cup chopped onion and one seeded diced jalapeno. I let this marinate for 30 minutes.

I mixed the 3 Tbls. mayo, 3 Tbls. horseradish, 1 Tbls. mustard, and added 1-2 tsp of habanero sauce (not in original coleslaw recipe, see photo of product below) and mixed well. I spooned into a zipper snack bag and let set for 30 min.


During the wait time for the slaw, I toasted the corn tortillas and baked the fish portions. 





I assembled the tacos this way:
Tortilla
Top with fish
Spoon on coleslaw
Snip the corner of the little baggie and drizzle on the creamy sauce.


What could be easier?  I think having the creamy sauce separate from the cabbage allows you to taste the horseradish better, which I like with fish. If you like, go ahead and blend all the sauces into the cabbage, and it is still mighty tasty!

YUM.  (The only thing that might make these better is chopped fresh cilantro. DOUBLE YUM.)


This is the habanero sauce. Not much flavor to conflict with anything you add it to, just HOT. 


This quantity is enough for two to three people. My original coleslaw recipe will feed an army. Keep in mind, you can cool this recipe down by reducing or leaving out the chopped jalapeno and habanero sauce. I would not recommend leaving out the horseradish, as it is the key flavor. 

Enjoy, my friends. Peace. 








2 comments:

  1. I was beginning to think we had a lot in common. Until this post. :) I have heard of fish tacos. I love fish. I love shrimp. Tacos...meh. Spicy....NO WAY! Cilantro....blech. Sounds like a good recipe, if that food is your type. Yes, I am a picky eater!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, when you live in Texas, almost everything gets served in a tortilla. Some restaurants serve just plain cabbage on the fish tacos, and you can add salsa or pico for the spicy. If you marinated and flavored the fish well before you grilled it, you would not need any spicy sauce. Same for the shrimp. Or, if you chose to, add your flavors to the coleslaw in the dressing.

      Delete