Tuesday, June 14, 2016

They'll Know We Are Christians....


Excuse me if I am mildly irritated this morning.

I turned on my TV to a local channel to check the weather this morning (which is the ONLY reason I would turn on any kind of news broadcast), and there was a commercial for ” Pray for Orlando”.   There were several images, some with flowers, some with grieving people, but mostly displaying the rainbow flag.  Why? Why do we have to put a label on this tragedy?  These men and women that were injured or died are children of God. They have mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, children who are all devastated right now. Why we have to label this as a LBGT tragedy? I don’t understand why we have to label everyone—Democrats, Republicans, liberals, conservatives, straight, gay, black, white, blah, blah, blah.  I have sat here this year watching the circus that our political system has become, and just shook my head.  I can tell you with certainty that none of those boo-boos have MY best interest at heart, and I doubt they have YOURS, regardless of what they say. They have THEIR best interest at heart, and that is about it.

 I am really sick and tired of all the hate mongers out there.  They are dividing us as a country and a people, and we--you and I-- are fueling  the bus.  Race baiters, political figures, ministers, celebrities—they are all posting sensationalist crap on the internet, and we are out there sharing, sharing, sharing.  Many things I see are blatantly untrue, usually posted with good intent, but not researched to confirm their truth.  Many post their religious/political feelings, and certainly have that right. My thoughts are, only the day we all stop labeling each other can we be a healed, Christian America.  As long as we are pointing fingers, that will never happen. The man that shot those people made it clear that he went there to kill.  While I have sympathy for these desperate countries, and I know that all the people living there are not radical Muslims, I certainly think if WE are to stay strong as a country we have to slow down and evaluate who we allow into this country from ANYWHERE. Our fiscal and physical strength depends on it. If we don’t we are rapidly on our way to not being able to take care of ourselves, much less anyone else. There has to be order, or we only have chaos. And let's not forget that shooter--he needs our prayer too. Just because he affiliated with a religion that teaches hate and no respect for life, his soul still deserves prayer. Jesus said, "Forgive them, they know not what they do."

In my early years playing guitar for worship services, there was a very popular song named “ They’ll Know We are Christians By Our Love”.  When was the last time you heard that song?  Perhaps it's time we do a little more of that.  Only when we stop waving flags and labeling folks can we affect a change. Let's do that Biblical "love one another". Oh, and stop judging.  That thing Jesus told us NOT to do. Just stop it. And yes, I am “praying for Orlando”, along with the rest of y’all. 

3 comments:

  1. Thank you, Donna, for sharing a piece of your mind and expressing my own thoughts so well! Couldn't agree more with every single thought you shared, and wish to goodness we could stop being a nation of labelersand generalizers and look at people as PEOPLE, and as children of God, and treat each other as brothers and sisters, or at least friends walking along together on this road of life! I knew your mom, and I know that she taught you, as mine did me, The Golden Rule. Where oh where has that gone, and when will we ever learn to treat others as we wish to be treated? I long for that day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, yes, the Golden Rule. I wonder how many kids these days have even heard that. I just miss common sense...another lost commodity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I can tell you for a fact we use the Golden Rule in my school district. But, I'm sure that is the exception rather than the norm. I'm waiting for things to turn around in this country but not sure how that is going to happen. Now I have that song in my head! :)

    ReplyDelete