Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Stained-In Deck Design

I love maps. I love compasses.  When we moved to San Marcos, it bothered me that my house was not set at any true angle--it is sort of catty-cornered to the world, so I wanted a compass on my deck. I started by researching images of compasses on the net, and found 2 or 3 I liked that were similar.  I combined those to come up with the final image.
 
After I determined location and size, I placed a nail in the center, I went high-tech and drew my two circles with a pencil on a string. Then I got my old school compass out and determined true North and South, and marked the center line with pencil.  I used a right angle to get my East/West line, and marked it with pencil as well. I then found the halfway point of the edge of the outside circle, and that was the mark for the sides of the long pointed lines, and found halfway between the N/S and  E/W lines for the shorter points. After I had the pencil outline in place, I used my metal right angle as a guide and drew the outline in a medium-tip oil-based paint pen from Hobby Lobby. This not only edged it in black, but it would keep the waterproofing stain I was going to apply from running and blurring the design.


My next step was to use a dark chocolate waterproofing stain on one side of each point.  I chose the left side of each one (looking out from the center), and repeated all around.


On the inner circle, divided it up in line with the points, and so I dark stained every other one of those, too.
 
I allowed the dark chocolate waterproofer to dry 2 days. I freehanded the letters marking the directions, and painted them with the black oil paint pen.  I then stained the entire deck with honey gold waterproofer.



I love it!  I placed it where there should never really be a table when we entertain so it can always be seen!!








5 comments:

  1. This idea is simply great, Donna! Now I’m trying to think of graphics I can possibly use to match the shrewdness of this, when the staining of my new deck begins. XD But seriously, now who can call a deck drab with this? It’s nice that it’s not merely a painting, but also a way to protect the wood with a cool seal. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kylee! I have to admit, it is kind of like a tattoo...one has become 'NOT ENOUGH' haha I have several ideas I would love to try now!! Scrollwork around the edges, or fake dance-step diagrams....lots of fun ideas.

      Delete
    2. WOW! Great minds think alike, I recently moved to Texas and just got the deck rebuilt. I didn't want boring one-toned deck stain and thought I would put a Texas star stained in the deck. I went searching for design ideas and how-to's. Thanks for the excellent advice on how I can make this happen. BTW, I really have no natural artistic abilities so if I can pull this off to look remotely as nice as yours it will be a miracle. -cindy

      Delete
  2. Awesome! I love compasses too! Very creative. : D The fake dance steps are nice too! :D I think I’ll do some paw prints like those in Lake House. Thanks for the idea! :D

    ,Angelina

    ReplyDelete

COLLECTIONS I am not a collector. But for those of you who remember my mother, she was definitely a collector. Of things.  Of EVERYTHING. ...