Wednesday, September 7, 2011

What's in YOUR Wallet???


I was showering last night, and having one of those "relaxing" moments, sort of spacing out, and I happened to focus on the can of Hill Country shaving cream in my shower. It said "Made in Canada". I checked the Suave containers, "Made in USA". Ok, cool. I get out and brush my teeth with Aquafresh. "Made in England". I take out my contacts and fill the case with Members Mark contact solution. "Made in Spain". What the hell??? So I tear around the house looking at labels. I expected some of them: Dollar General Carpet Foam: "Made in China". I was confused by some: Equate Daytime Cold Medicine was made in Canada, but the Equate pepto bismol and immodium was made in USA. Also made in USA was Ajax, Swiffer, Sprayway window cleaner, Clinique makeup, L'Oreal, and HEB aloe vera gel. But the big disappointments: the American icons, Alka Seltzer and Vicks--both made in Mexico. So how the heck am I supposed to "buy American" when all this stuff I use every day is not made here??? I can see my next trip to the store is going to take a while—and I have to entertain the possibility there may not be any brands of these items made in USA anymore. My money says United States of America on it, and I want to buy stuff labeled the same way. Grrrr…..

1 comment:

  1. I've heard that the worse place in the world to shop if you're looking for a "Made in USA" label is Walmart. Even so-called American made cars are bing manufactured in Mexico & Canada.

    ReplyDelete

COLLECTIONS I am not a collector. But for those of you who remember my mother, she was definitely a collector. Of things.  Of EVERYTHING. ...